Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Harvest Monday cont...

I completely forgot about the hardest part of my harvest week!
I harvested 2 fingers of ginger.
It took me over an hour to harvest those 2 fingers of ginger. The ginger is growing in lava rock and pine bark/fines. Now figuring how lightweight lava rock is you'd think this would be a cinch. HA! WRONG!  There is a reason that men harvest ginger. That stuff is TOUGH. Backbreaking work I tell ya!
And, I forgot to take pictures, sorry.

Since I'm posting and I wanted to post these pictures this is what my girls did while I slaved away slicing, dicing, chopping, shoveling, excavating and eventually giving up after only gleaning 2 fingers of ginger....

They ran this way.......

And that way........



They squealed, and shouted, and after about 10 minutes they even shivered. But, that didn't stop them!

And, after all was said and done they were all clean and dried and ready for their close up.
Actually, this was jealous little Miss Katie. She didn't like that the fruit behind her was getting attention and she felt that she needed her picture on the blog, too. She is after all the best harvest of Kate's I ever had. ;-)

So I think that the romping in the sprinklers makes it official. I went ahead and did it. I put the little tiny tomato seedlings in the ground. They had true leaves, actually 2 sets and at least this way I won't have to worry about their little pots getting knocked over and they are less likely to dry to a crisp if I accidentally forget to water. I still have seedlings to tend to but not as many. Most of the maters and peppers are in the ground. Next weekend I'll give them a little food and make sure they feel loved.
Sure feels good seeing the green out there where it belongs. I love knowing that things are the way they should be. Right as rain. Speaking of - sure hope it rains soon. This weekend would be good.

'Till next time!

Barbie~

3 comments:

  1. You grew ginger!?! I love it! I wish you had taken pictures: don't forget next time...how exciting! I love ginger flowers...just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you gave me a start....I mistakenly read it as you had harvested 2 of your fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. EEK! Granny I think my heart skipped a beat just reading that! Considering how hard it was to get it out of the ground I could see it happeneing if I was careless.

    ReplyDelete