Monday, March 21, 2011

Harvest Monday 3.21.11

SPRING! (Officially!) Linking in this first SPRING day to DAPHNE'S DANDELIONS for Harvest Monday

I don't have much in the way of pictures to show for my harvest. But, each day a handful of strawberries, and a handful of spinach for my Bgirl. I also took 2 clippings form the lettuce. It made salads for dinner for all 5 of us and that is nice. Plus, we had lettuce for our burgers yesterday as well. Radishes for the salad of course. Oh, the last large head of cabbage - 4 pounds. I forgot to take a picture of it until I had already cleaned it, and had it ready for the pot.




Apologies for the cell phone shots. Life gets busy and I lose my one memory card sometimes. I figure one day I'll have to go buy 10 of the suckers. But, then I'll lose track of all of those, too! Ha.

Oh, I made strawberry syrup we ate on our blueberry pecan pancakes with blueberries and pecans from the freezer stash. I have only 1 cup of pecans left. No one in the house is happy about that! The good news is that the blueberries are turning blue again outside and I promised my girls to go picking this year so we'll have them in the freezer again soon! I sure wish Strawberries froze as well as blueberries do. Bummer, Man.  The Boy child finally ate one of these beauties. He was skeptical because they are all shapes and sizes. Boy was he surprised! He is now fighting with the girls over who gets to eat these little treats. Problem with that is dangit! I want more of them for me. *POUT*

I gotta tell you. That strawberry syrup> Yeah that stuff over there------> Yum. I have got to find a way to keep it from fermenting. I don't use enough sugar in the recipe to keep it from fermenting if I canned it. I suppose I could freeze it. Maybe I should start looking into better freezer storage. It irks me to no end to pull something out of the freezer that I worked hard on only to find out that it isn't usable.
Ack, I'm rambling.

HAPPY SPRING!
'Till next time!

Barbie~

6 comments:

  1. That syrup looks delicious! That reminds me I need to go pick some of my ripe strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to get in my plant so some year I'll get blueberries. Though I ought to get my first strawberries this year as some of them are everbears. Your post had me drooling. I so love fruit syrups. I might can some. If I ever get enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some pretty harvests! The pancakes with the syrup look absolutely delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, strawberry syrup!!! I have about 5 strawberries growing along and now I know what I'm going to do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have prepared a very delicious meal. Yummy! I wish I can grow cabbage like you, every time I visited your blog you have good-looking cabbage to harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pics look great. I think I lost my memory card some time ago (can't remember where). Mike

    ReplyDelete