Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Ripe figs?

I guess the title sums it all up here. I had a few figs on the tree and being that I have no real idea what type of fig tree... (heheh tree. Its like 18" tall - bush) I have in my yard I have no idea what to expect when it comes to picking the fruit of this 'tree.' So this morning was the first morning that I saw the fruit had finally turned and the squirrels hadn't beaten me to the treasure.
 
So, I did what any self respecting gardener would do.
I snatched that sucker off that tree and pranced around the yard singing all the while - 'Nah Nah Nee boo booo... I got it and you didn't' Well, much to my husbands dismay. He was watching me. He was waiting in the car to take the kids to school. Well, summer camp - it's much the same to me. Especially when you turn around and realize that 4 people are staring at you when you've just completed your victory dance of squirrel  redemption that looks something like I would imagine a zombie trying to do the Dougie. Of course, I've actually never seen 'The Dougie' I've only heard of it through my son who tells me I'm just not cool and hip and with it...No not in those words but that is the message I got.
 
I digress. The point is this: I got this fruit that I don't know when it's actually ripe. So I snagged 2 fruits. (What it's just fruit, right I mean fruit is the plural of fruit? I'm confused) One that was definitely different in color that the unripe fruit that it was next to, and one that was possibly over ripe because it was squishy. Either way the victory dance? Totally worth it. I still got fruit that should be worth eating. At least that is what I was thinking at the time.
 
So. Here is my stash.
 
One nicely chartreuse fig, and one slightly brown and squishy fig.
 
Now, I did have to fight the little tree for the chartreuse fig. I suppose that should have been my first clue. But because the slightly brown fig was eh- slightly squishy I just didn't let it deter me.
 
Understand I've only had either dried figs, or figs of the Newton variety. I've never experience fresh figs. I almost typed Newton. LOL I guess that tells you just how brainwashed a society we are. It took me 3 tries to type fig instead. When most of us think of figs we think of those cookie/cake things.
 
I believe that there figs that are supposed to be eaten when they are that chartreuse color, and figs that supposed to be brown. I think there are even some that are a purple type of color. Well, I know from the first immature fruits last year that this little bush wasn't the kind that would offer me purple fruit, but I was still unsure if the fruit would be eaten at what stage. SO I sliced these two figs open and was absolutely amazed and the beauty inside.

Unfortunately for you, I was so amazed that I completely forgot to take a picture. It was beautiful. It was pink and white, and purplish and....and.... and....
Photo courtesy of My kitchen is my Playground


 

Juicy and succulent and amazingly sweet. I couldn't just no show you SOMETHING! It may not be my picture, and honestly I think my figs were a little prettier on the inside. Glossy and the color was just a little different but this definitely does it justice.
Both figs looked wonderful, but the brown fig was a bit glossier than the green fig. Upon tasting the brown fig was also sweeter, and a little more dare I say it? More mature tasting. It was as if I had opened a bottle of wine and chugged it instead of allowing it to breathe.
Eh- that's another bad analogy for me. I really can't stand the taste of wine. It gives me the heeby jeebies. Go figure.
 
So if you have some fruit you are unsure of try two, and make sure one of them seems to be overripe. Because apparently dome fruit(s?) are meant to be eaten that way.
Now I'm excited for next year when I should have enough fruit to try to make a fig jam.... MMMmmm. That should be tasty. Another first for me, but I can't wait to try it.
 
See you soon!
 
Barbie~


2 comments:

  1. Most figs produce twice a year ...so you'll get another shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I've never even considered growing figs. They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete