Monday, April 6, 2015

Harvest Monday 4.6.2015

Oh for all that I am - mostly I am forgetful...I can't believe I haven't posted lately. We have been SO busy with so many different things.
But lets start this with what I am here for... HARVEST MONDAY! don't forget to get over to Daphne's Dandelions for the lo-down on what is being harvested all over.

This week I still didn't take very many pictures, but I do have one good one to share at least and it will give you an idea of what's been eaten, harvested, and stored lately.


It may look rather small but it's several pounds of carrots, several pounds of greens and the days picking of strawberries and blueberries.

Most of the carrots and berries just don't make it inside but this day I pulled more than normal as I needed space for the smaller carrots to start putting on some girth. It's getting hot every day and I would like to eat them before they all turn bitter.

Not shown is the head of cabbage and a few potatoes that I pulled as well. The vast majority of the cool weather crops are torn out and other than the rest of the baby carrots, some snap peas/snowpeas and potatoes we are switched to summer crops. 
The tomatoes are beginning to set fruit already! The green beans are giving me a few each day as well. Unfortunately those are destined to be ripped out this week as well. They are the fall sowing and this second crop (While great to have) is much smaller. I think new plants would be far more productive. The single eggplant is showing signs that it will flower soon and the cucumber and watermelon(WOW should have started those sooner) are on their first set of leaves. Okra is 6" tall and growing FAST now as well. 
The berries are doing fantastic. Once it hits 90* they will stop altogether and just like that berry season will be over. SO far we've gotten about 3 pounds of blueberries and it looks like there is just as much left to pick. :-)

Ah, the sunshine and warm weather has been fantastic for my soul, but my muscles are not as happy. It's funny how you don't realize in the summer how much you use those muscles, but when you haven't been digging in your garden for months over the winter, your body will remind you that you should have had some other form of exercise!

It hurts so good.

See you soon! (With lots of updates)

Barbie~

6 comments:

  1. Digging will do that to you. My yard though has such nice soil that it doesn't take as much to aerate it. So I barely feel it at all anymore. Or so I think. I've started planting today, so I'll see tomorrow how I feel. Lovely carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have ton going on in your garden! I put my kids old wagon into garden duty as well - didn't even think about that when we first got it, but boy has it turned out to be one of the most useful additions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do! That wagon sees so many different uses. The next couple weeks it will be used to move dirt form the chicken run into the garden beds. :-)

      Delete
  3. That's a nice colourful harvest! And I hear you on the hurting ... the ground is still frozen here but I know the first few days, I'm gonna be sore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I may have been sore, but I can't wait to get back out there again!!! (It's an addiction I tell you!)

      Delete