Monday, January 5, 2015

Harvest Monday 1.5.15

It's 2015 now, and this is the first Harvest Monday of the year!

The last few weeks have been super busy here. I'm sure it's been busy for everyone but here the last 2 weeks of the year are crunch time. Time to fill the freezer with red meat and the pantry as well. I keep finding some good pickings out in the garden and keeping up is not even possible. So for now "m playing catch up and will get ahead again sometime in February when I start preparing for tomatoes and warm weather veggies.

This weeks harvest from the garden:



Loads of greens and some citrus.

We harvested 2 gallons of pecans. Meager pickings compared to years past. Enough for a few pecan pies and really, what more could I ask for? Also pulled the sweet potato bed up. I harvested an additional 4 gallons worth of them. Weight wise I have no idea, but my 5 gallon pail was almost filled to the top. That of course feels great after pulling what I wanted out of the bed all summer it's a pretty nice haul.

Unfortunately sweet potatoes don't cure well here so they don't get nearly as sweet. However, the good to that bad news is that they make truly fantastic chips. My mandolin and I will be good friends the next 2-3 months./ :-)


See you soon!
 Barbie~

5 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! Looks like you got some good harvests to start the year with. 2 gallons of pecans sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our sweet potatoes don't get cured quite as well as the commercial ones either. I'm not at all bothered as I think the store bought ones are too sweet sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You grow your own lemons? Oh ... so jealous! Currently around -20 Celsius in my neck of the woods, don't think citrus would last long. And your own pecans as well? Next time, share a pic - I have no idea what they look like while growing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy, what I wouldn't give for some fresh pecans - or any nut for that matter. We are nuts for nuts in our house...maybe we'll invest in a nut tree at some point. The wish list just keeps getting longer and longer.

    And wonderful haul of sweet potatoes too - another crop I haven't grown, but that one is much easier to fit in & hopefully I will be able to harvest a few dozen or so next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of other bloggers are writing about snow and freezing conditions, and here you are harvesting lemons! If only... Here in the South of the UK our Winters are relatively mild, but there are still several months each year in which very little produce comes out of the garden. Right now I have Brussels Sprouts, Leeks and Parsnips, so I suppose that is not too bad, but I'm already pining for tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce etc!

    ReplyDelete