Monday, May 12, 2014

Harvest Monday 5.12.14

Good Morning! It's Harvest Monday again ~ Make sure you stop by Daphne's Dandelions to get the scoop on harvests from all over!

This weeks harvests consisted of strawberries, blue berries and a ton of rosemary.

I'm getting ready to remove my 3 year old rosemary bush as the placement is just all wrong. It keeps the sprinklers from working correctly. I'll have to be more careful about the placement this time. I know the perfect place - but the kiwi are there and I haven't given up totally on them yet. I may just keep the new plant in a pot for a while until I figure it out. Perhaps a place int he front yard would be better for it...or at least for me! ;-)

I did do some work out in the garden. The place I normally reserve for my sprawling watermelons/pumpkins has gotten rather shady as my pomegranate bushes have filled in over the last year or two. That meant it was time to re-purpose the area. The flat of itty bitty blueberry plants I got a few weeks ago have now gone form this...
To this... They are stretching their little roots out and seem rather happy now.

The long 2 rows on the left are Jewel and the 30 plants on the right are the new princess variety. Those berries were a bit smaller but so much sweeter. I just can't wait for fruit!!!

For Mother's Day we went to a local park that offers a ton of amenities. We did some target practice.

We had a picnic and played on the green-space as well as at the lake on the playground. We managed to do all of this by 12:30 and as we were leaving the park the line to get in was down the street. I'm glad I got everyone up and out the door when I did! We were able to finish off a wonderful day with a dip int he pool and dinner with my Mom.

I'm looking forward to doing some more work in the garden this coming weekend. The kids are excited as the green beans are now producing and the tomatoes are setting. It gets hopping for a few more weeks until the summer storms start. The blueberries are almost done for the year here. I'm sad about not having the fruit readily available and fresh any more but I'm very glad that I have quite a few more plants that will be in production in just a year or two.

See you soon!
Barbie~

3 comments:

  1. WOW! Blueberries so early? ours are just starting to bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blueberries look wonderful. We have a lot of flowers on some of our plants this year. I hope that means a good harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you keep the birds away from your ripe blueberries? Did not know you could propagate your own blueberry plants, sure save a lot of money.

    ReplyDelete