Monday, February 17, 2014

2/17/14 Harvest Monday

Hey there! It's Harvest Monday again! This weeks harvest includes most of the things you've been seeing here this winter. But this time I threw in something different, just for fun. LOL.

Cabbage made it on the list! Finally something different. I adore broccoli, but it's nice to have something else coming out of the garden, too. 

I got 2 of these bowls of broccoli from side shoots, and my head of cabbage as well. The hens are still giving me a decent supply of eggs. I've only gone 5 or 6 days the whole winter without one or the other of them giving me a little present. Good hens! I'm considering chicks right now, but it's such a catch 22. If I get chicks I have a better chance of being discovered. SO it's get new chicks, get rid of aggressive hen - BONUS... get chicks, get found out - BOOO!!! What's a gal to do? Additionally something has been getting into their pen lately. Food consumption has tripled. I'm thinking it's probably rats, and there isn't much I can do about that. I can't afford a $150 treadle feeder...so I'm not sure what else to do. :-( 

My first set of green beans is due this week. I can't wait to eat them!

Thanks Daphne for hosting, as always! Don't forget to check out her blog for loads of other harvests from around the world.

See you soon!

Barbie~

5 comments:

  1. Our gardens must be on the same USDA zone (10?) though you may get a bit hotter and cooler than we do. Fun to see your blog, kids and musings about the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in USDA 9(b I think) but close! We do get frosts and freezes each winter and summer here is monsoon season. it rains at least 4 days a week and makes lots of mold for us with temps in the high 90's each day. I pretty much live in a swamp. (literally I am surrounded by swamp.) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a nice head of cabbage. Love broccoli and eggs too of course! Have you considered adding older pullets to you flock? Maybe you could even visit ahead of time and get an idea of their temperament a little. Plus there is less chance of accidentally getting a rooster and won’t have to wait as long for them to begin laying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have considered that. But, getting a young pullet and not an old hen is difficult. I can't tell the difference between the two. Rooster problem would just have to become a roaster problem. ;-) Love my hens, but no roosters allowed here!

      Delete
  4. For us, that single day harvest of cabbage, broccoli and three eggs would last for a week...!!

    ReplyDelete